Why Chronicle Smoothies??

Why Chronicle Smoothies? Well, because I love smoothies. And I believe that smoothies are worthy of plenty of love. And I think it's fun to experiment, and share my experience with other like-minded smoothie fanatics.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Pretty In Pink

I wish this photo captured the fantastic colour of the smoothie a little better (I suppose we'll have to wait for my next generation iPhone for that...) because that's what I was going for more than anything in today's smoothie. Simplicity, and bright colour. It's a no-brainer, only:

1 container kefir
1 large, ripe, organic banana
1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries



I stayed basic today because I was really in the mood to enjoy the effervescence of the kefir and the tartness of the raspberries, which worked perfectly with the smooth sweetness of the banana. Now that I think of it, maybe a few leaves of mint would have been perfect here, something to try for next time...

For those of you who aren't familiar with kefir, it's fermented milk, and it's full of probiotics (more so than yoghurt, apparently). It's an acquired taste for those who aren't used to it, some think it's a bit too sour at first, but I love it. Smoothies are a great way to introduce it into the diet of the uninitiated :)

You know what I love about writing this blog? I love learning more about the stuff that I want to tell all of y'all about. I just learned, for instance, that the starter for kefir is actually called a "kefir grain" and it looks like cauliflower! Apparently it's really, really easy to make your own, it ferments in about 24 hours, and since it has yeast in it you can actually use it for baking bread. Neat, huh?? Wikipedia is of course great for a quick glimpse into whatever you would like to know about, and www.kefir.net is a pretty neat resource, though they do sell the stuff there so I wouldn't necessarily believe everything they say... What do you think of kefir? Smoothie on everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment